
I stayed home from church today,
dealing with some sickies we have.
I decided to make a nice dinner for when Dean got home.
How nice of me, right?
I also decided that I could make some rolls,
with all my extra time.
When it came time to make rolls,
instead of throwing together the recipe I usually use,
the quick and easy one that I know by heart,
I said to myself "I want to make Grandma rolls."
She died over 6 years ago.
I think of her often.
But this is the first time I have wanted to try and make her rolls.
Her recipe is a bit more involved than the one I use.
Her method of shaping them - DEFINITELY more involved.
She would shape balls of dough,
and not by rolling them between your hands like play-doh!
That method doesn't make as smooth a roll as hers,
a pinch-turn, pinch-turn pattern
that leaves a very smooth ball of dough.
Then she would roll each one in melted butter,
and put them 2 at a time in each cup of a muffin tin.
A work of art,
made with love.
Delicious.
As I started
I kept wishing that I had made rolls with her more often.
I had little questions along the way about the rolls.
But really.....
Making rolls this way takes a lot of
Time.
Mostly I just wanted more time with her.
More time for my children to know her.
I sure miss her.
A lot.
Somewhere in the process I was surprised to realize,
today is her birthday.
She would have been 90 today.
The rolls I made weren't great
But remembering Grandma was.
6 comments:
Sweet.
LOVE that it was your grandma's birthday, on the day you chose to make her rolls...coinsidence? I think not! :)
I love your post. So tender with your warm look back to your beautiful roots.
I am sure your grandma was there with you smiling down on you!
that was so sweet, Candice.
I have done the same thing many many times. When I do make her rolls I love how eating them brings back a flood of memories.
What a great memory, and I am guessing to your kids those rolls tasted pretty darn good! Probably just like what you recall your grandma's rolls tasting like.
Post a Comment