11.21.2008

Year of Wonders ~ A Novel


I just finished Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. It's a historical fiction (my favorite genre) set in 1666 England. It's about a tiny village's year long battle with the Plague. There is selfishness and sacrifice, despair and hope, fear and faith, cruelty and love, weakness and strength. It was a very compelling read. I love the language of the book. There are many unexpected turns and surprises. The author is a correspondent for the Wall Street Journal. Between assignments in the Middle-East she would enjoy the peacefulness of the English countryside. On a hike she found a sign pointing to Plague Village. She looked into the village's history and couldn't get the story out of her mind. Now I can't.

3 comments:

Hi! I'm Jeni (Jen, Jennifer, or Mom) said...

This sounds like a book I want to read. I will have to put it on my to read list!
Thanks for the recommendation.

Brits said...

That sounds like an awesome book. I've been needing one, so thanks!

Brits said...

Yeah, I was laughing hysterically whenever anyone screamed. I guess there was a lot of sighing and swooning as well...

BTW - Do you like my new profile pic?