4.27.2013

Halliburton Man

I know Dean works for Halliburton and I know that his job at the well is to work with the frac crew.
I know that some days he drives.
Some days he fracs (which in itself has several different jobs).
Some days he cleans and repairs equipment.
Some days he volunteers to go out with other crews to get some more hours and more experience.
USGS: Estimate of Conventional Gas Resources Grows Internationally
This is an image off the internet of what it all looks like when the frac crew is set up.  I am amazed at how many trucks it takes to do their job!  There are even more around the perimeter that carry all of the "ingredients" that they need.
And this is one guys perspective and a picture of what some of Dean's days might be like.

But it's not really a "bring your kids to work" or "meet wife for lunch" kind of job.
We never have and probably never will see him in action.
But my curious mind wants to know all I can so I ask a lot of question.

One day my patient, accommodating husband called me from the road to tell me that he was moving a truck from point A to point B and he could pull off for a minute near our house to show us one of the trucks that he drives.  I announced that anyone who got all their Saturday work done in the next hour could come with me.

(They rotate Living Room, Bathroom, Basement.  Not hard.  SO DOABLE!)

So here is an account of Levi and I meeting Dad and his big truck.

(Tough lessons here.  The biggers wanted to come but just can't seem to focus on their work.  They play, they fight, they flop on the floor in some sort of catatonic state, but they will not hustle to finish chores.  I was bummed.  Dean was bummed.  They were bummed.  But they are slowly learning that I mean what I say and privileges are earned!)


When we first pulled up Levi was a little hesitant because really, it is a BIG  truck!  With a little coaxing I did get him to stand on the step.

Seeing Dad smiling down at him erased the rest of his anxiety and he was more than happy to hop up in the driver's seat with him.  "Shooter" (water gun) was never ever set down or left behind on this day.

Long angle view here.  This is a pump truck - I think.  They have to send a substance down the well in order to frac and this is one of the trucks that helps pump it down there. 

Beep Beep!  Playing with the little "in town" horn.

BEEP BEEP!!   
Levi got to pull the BIG horn.  It was so loud he kind of just held on and forgot that it was in his own power to make that really loud noise stop.

The other side as Dean drove away.
Dean,
Thank you for working such long hours.
Thank you for working so quickly to get promoted and being recognized as an asset to the crew.
Thank you for staying strong in such a rough environment and being the "bishop" that they can all talk to.
Thank you for your always-positive attitude.
 Thank you for the glimpse into one of your responsibilities!


4 comments:

Chanelson said...

Fascinating! I have no idea what he does. :) I always enjoy your blog, Candace (I'm one of those silent readers, heh heh).

Lora Dawn said...

Toe.tal.ee. interesting! I have wondered about his job. And, yes, even after having him explain, it is still a mystery.
Yes, to these pictures. I never imagined the bigness of the rigs.
Thanks to you both for this. Yea for Dean in counseling his ^congregation^in the field!

Smullin Family said...

Inquiring minds want to know..and now we know a little bit more. :)

I'm feeling for you, as a mom of ho-hum kid workers. We really DO want them to have fun privileges..really we do! It's so hard not to give in "just this once" because you want them to have the opportunity. Good job mom!

A*Waite said...

I am so glad he was in your neck of the woods so you and Levi could see the giant truck.

I am sure when the next fun time rolls around the older kids will realize you do mean business!! Good for you to sticking to your guns!