When we ran out of bread the other day I decided I wanted to make some. This was shortly after a Family Night where Dean's Sis made some yummy bread to share with all of us. It was so yummy I decided to try my hand at wheat bread. It didn't rise as much as the white bread dough I've successfully made in the past. So I was concerned a bit. It looked alright after cooking......
....from the other side.
What happened? We ate all 3 loaves just fine but it definitely wasn't what I was hoping or trying for. So my bread-making friends out there.....what say you? My yeast was fine so what else could make it not rise enough? Any guesses? And the split....what does that mean?
5 comments:
I read somewhere that when it cracks there is too much flour. My bread cracks often too.
Maybe it didn't raise long enough or it was too humid and cool to raise?
My favorite yeast to use is SAF. I don't know it that is helpful or not.
Hmmm....not sure, what Amber says makes sense, though.
My recipe uses a little wheat gluten flour, it helps make the dough a little more elastic, I think. I've done it even with 100% whole wheat, and it still works well, too. Maybe that would help it raise, and cut down the cracking?? I don't really know what I'm talking about...but good luck! :)
No clue. just thought I'd share.
Cameron is Mindy BTW - I'm an idiot, but now you have two strange posts.
Did you proof the yeast in warm water and sugar before adding it to recipe? We do that, and it works pretty well. I'm so proud of you for doing this!! Go, girl!
Post a Comment