12.31.2008

What's Cooking?

Micaela got this cookbook for Christmas. I LOVE cookbooks. Micaela loves making treats. It's hard to tell who was more excited about it! (It does have breakfast and dinner sections but who reads those?)

When we were invited to "the cousin's house" (they have lots of cousins but this phrase has come to mean the Smullin cousins) to play games and eat treats for New Year's Eve I told them that we would need to think of something to take to share. I LOVE cooking but I don't always love figuring out what to cook. My family is very helpful in that department. They instantly got out the Ratatouille Cookbook.

Micaela chose these mice. The book calls for apricots for head and body but my friend Brits had made these for our R.S. Dinner and they were easier, less expensive and looked better. We used cherries and Hershey kisses. I made the first 2 for demo's sake, Micaela made all the rest completely on her own. She felt very big and accomplished. I think she did great. They look great. I wish I liked chocolate covered cherries. Sure hope Grandma McKinley is coming tonight! Micaela had to work alone because I was helping Jackson (not that Micaela minded at all, she probably was grateful). He chose Django's Dirt Cake. Of course! Boy + Dirt + Chocolate = One happy, messy boy with a tummy ache! Don't ya just love the rat crawling out of the cake, er, I mean dump...that's what this cake makes Jackson think of ~ the dump. I think he's been there once 2 years ago.
Happy New Year to You!

4 comments:

Lora Dawn said...

Now that's one impressive earthy creation, Jackson - - - and the cutest mousey colony I've ever seen, Micaela.

Are you sure you can bear to nibble your pet mice?

Brits said...

You don't like chocolate covered cherries?? I don't think we can be friends anymore...

Tara H said...

well, our bond is strengthened Candice, I don't like choc cherries either! seems we like a lot of the same foods. so cute of your kids cooking- that dump cake looks gross enough to not eat even. Seriously, is that real dirt? I hope Odessa can cook as well as Micaela some day- I am bad at letting her try since it's such a mess!

Candice said...

Seriously Tara, it's crushed up Grasshopper cookies! Those probably rank right up there with dirt though in your nutrition focused mind! No, dirt would be more nutritious - technically- right? We live on junk! LOVE the stuff! :o)