4.11.2009

Easter Fun

We tried a new way of coloring our eggs using silk ties. I let the kids wrap them and thought that was why the pattern didn't transfer well but when I unwrapped the one egg I had taken so much care with, it didn't look much better, so the kids aren't fired. I still like them. I got the idea from Bittany who got it here.



We also tried a multi-colored sugar cookie. This was a food coloring nightmare. We wanted lavender - 2 drops of red and 2 drops of blue. We got the blue in. I always run out of red so awhile ago I bought a bottle of red coloring. Wish I hadn't it. It doesn't drip, it pours everywhere. So we had 2 drops of blue and 1 tsp. red. Ugh! The orange was supposed to be pink. I remembered buying a red gel food color also and decided to try that. I added a small amount to the dough, turned on the mixer and saw orange! I completely forgot I had that gel too. I mixed up the containers and the gel itself looks the same for both. So here's the result. They still taste fine. At our ward picnic today the kids got to play egg games and of course do an egg hunt. So much fun for them. I loved sitting in the grass in the sunshine while they devoured every jelly bean and chocolate egg.


Happy to Easter to you!

2 comments:

Brits said...

I'm glad the eggs worked out for you...mine all came out pink and fuzzy.

Hi! I'm Jeni (Jen, Jennifer, or Mom) said...

I wanted to do the silk tie dieing of eggs this year, but I had already bought a kit. Maybe next year, then I will have a whole year to look for very ugly ties at DI.

Good job on the eggs!